Oct 3, 2017

What about my mother?


Vicki was born in December 1948.  

She is the oldest of 3 kids.  My uncle was born a year and a half later and then my aunt is 10 and a half years younger than her.

In between my uncle and aunt's birth, my grandparents had a stillbirth - Gregory.





My mom describes the neighborhood she grew up in as idyllic.  Her paternal grandma lived next door and her cousins were down the road.

My grandpa's siblings were close so all of the cousins grew up together.  My grandma and her brother were also close.  

When she was seven, I think, she was hit by a bus tire.  It was an icy morning.  Her school was one of the only schools in session.  The bus driver hit her.  She ended up breaking her leg and being in the hospital for a long time.  

Her family attended Concord United Methodist Church.  In fact that is where my grandparents met.  My sister and grandparents are buried in their cemetery.



As a child, she was part of a Girl Scouts' troop led by her doctor's wife.  When they were in 8th grade, they went to Washington D.C. as their last big event before disbanding.  Mom has such good memories of that trip.

She graduated from high school in 1967.  After high school, she went to West Virginia Wesleyan where she met my father.


She attended the college for two years.  During those two years, she met two of her best friends - Peter and Winston.  They are still friends after knowing each other for 50 years.

Some of my stories about my life involve those two men.

This a brief synopsis about my mom's life growing up.

Join me tomorrow so that I can share photos of my parent's wedding.

Traci



No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Bubbles with Gum

How did you learn to blow bubbles with gum? Me, well it was not the traditional way or at least that is what my memories are telling me. ...